Wednesday, September 30, 2009



Location Activity DescriptionGoogle Earth Content
1. Meissen Germany
Meissen is the sister-city of Provo, for the first activity I will include a link to this website explaining what a sister-city is.

I will probably include a picture of the Meissen.

2. Albrecht's Castle this is a major feature in the town, for this activity they will make observations and write how they think its similar to and different from the salt lake temple, which is a large feature near by Provo.

picture of albretch's castle and salt lake temple

3.Elbe River
The city of Meissen is located on the banks of the Elbe River, the activity will be comparing it to the provo river.

Ideally, I will include a picture of the river and have the students measure it with the ruler tool.

4. porcelain manufacturing
In Meissen they have extensive deposits of china clay so they make a lot of porcelain. in utah we have the kennecott copper mine.
have links explaining the difference things you can make with copper and with porcelain

for this I will probably have pictures of the different mines or products that are made from the raw materials.


I chose objective 3 from standard 1 for third grade curriculum that emphasizes analyzing the "ways cultures use, maintain, and preserve the physical environment". I chose this because I thought it would be interesting to see the differences between the sister-cities of Provo and Meissen, and how each city uses their surroundings. I chose this topic because I think the idea of having a sister-city is interesting, and I doubt that many of my students would know what a sister-city is, let alone that Provo has one. I think Google Earth is a good approach to take because Meissen is a place that they probably haven't heard of, and Google Earth gives them a chance to understand the surroundings in a detailed and extensive way, as opposed to searching for random images online.

No comments:

Post a Comment